Sunday, October 11, 2009

Current Event 3- Obama addresses Gay Right

On saturday night President Obama gave a memorable speech to the largest gay rights group at dinner for Human Rights Campaign. This speech was very important to gay rights activists because gay rights was a significant part of Obama's campaign when running for office. However gay activists thought that Obama had put this issue on the backburner once he got into office. In his speech he praised the gay community for making significant strides for equality. More specifically President Obama called for the repeal of the ban on gays in the military.
I found this article interesting because I was not aware that Obama was pushing for gay rights. I think this was a good move for Obama to give this speech because he now has significant support from gay rights activists. I also 100% agree with Obama's decision to call for a repeal of the ban on gays in the military. I think it is ridiculous to deny someone to serve and protect our country due to their sexual orientation.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this decision, gays should not be banned from the military, being gay does not effect the way people defend their country. I also did not know that Obama was pushing for gay rights.

    ReplyDelete