Sunday, September 27, 2009

Current Event week 1 Closing Guantanamo Bay

In his first Month of office President Obama declared that he would shut down the controversial prison Guantanamo Bay, setting a closing deadline of January 2010. Now defense secretary Robert Gates says that the closing of the prison might take longer than planned. Many Americans see this delay as showing weakness in the Obama administration, however Gates says as long as singnificant strides are being made in closing the prison it shouldn't matter too much if the process takes a little bit longer. The closing of Guantanamo was already a heated topic becuase many republicans stated that they didn't want dangerous criminals on American soil, while others thought that the brutal prison showed a bad image of our country.
In this case I agree with defense secretary Robert Gates. This is because the Obama administration is not putting the closing on hold, but due to complications of the process they are not able to accomplish the goal exactly when they planned. In everyday life people set goals and deadlines that can't always be accomplished and I believe this isn't a problem as long as they dont give up on their goal or deadline.

3 comments:

  1. I can see how the closing of Guantanamo Bay is very hot topic around the US, and i should be. The first thing that comes to mind is what will we do with all the dangerous criminals if it is shut down. Do we really want to have them somewhere in America? This needs to be thought out very throughly before any action is taken, because this could change many things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shutting down of Guantanamo Bay is a very important issue. I agree with Christian and David on the issue. If we do eventually release these prisoners where are they going to stay. It is also a very hot topic because this was one of the things that Obama stressed in his campaign for office. He promised that in the upcoming months this prison will be shut down. We will have to wait and see how Barack will act about Guantanamo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say a prison is a prison and a prison needs no luxury. I think the prison is badass. It shows that America has some backbone, and shutting it down is sort of backing down from some real stuff. It is especially significant since it has such a impressive background in history. I think it should stay as a sort of stigma to america, and to show other countries we arent a bunch of sissies. There is no point in shutting it down and having to deal with these prisoners anyways.

    ReplyDelete